Set up blocked time in your calendar to easily track when your team are on a break and prevent unwanted bookings during times that your team are busy.
This guide covers:
- Getting started
- Creating a new blocked time type
- Editing or deleting blocked time types
- Adding blocked time
- Creating recurring blocked time
- Managing recurring blocked time
As the account owner, you’ll be able to create and Manage blocked time types. To allow your team members to do this too, you’ll need to ensure they have the correct access level enabled under permissions.
Creating a new blocked time type
Blocked time types are templates you can customize to use when scheduling breaks or admin tasks in your calendar. You can pick from the default options or create your own break types to suit your business. To create and customize blocked time types:
- Go to Blocked time types under Business Settings.
- Click Add type from the pre-populated list.
- Enter a title and select an emoji for the Type.
- Set the Default duration using the dropdown menu.
- If you have Team Pay enabled, choose whether you want the blocked time to be calculated as Paid or Unpaid within the team members' total worked hours.
- Click Save to create the new blocked time type.
TOP TIP: You can also add new blocked time types directly from your calendar by scrolling across the types and clicking New Type when adding blocked time.
Editing or deleting blocked time types
To make adjustments or remove a blocked time type:
- Head to Blocked time types under Business Settings.
- Hover over the desired blocked time type and click the three dots.
- To edit, choose Edit, make changes, and click Save.
- To delete, select Delete and confirm your choice by clicking Delete again.
Adding blocked time
Blocked time is a valuable feature that allows for the efficient organization of breaks and unavailable periods. To add blocked time to your calendar:
- Open your Calendar and select Add or use the plus icon if you're using the Fresha app or mobile device.
- Select New blocked time.
- Click on the time slot you wish to block under the relevant team member on the calendar.
- Select a blocked time type or for a Custom blocked time, add a Title. For example, “Meeting”.
- If needed, adjust the Team member, Date, and Time using the drop-down menus.
- To have this blocked time occur regularly, select your preference under Frequency.
- Include a Description for additional details about the blocked time. For example, "Team meeting to discuss new products."
- If you have added Custom blocked time, you can choose to allow clients to book online during this time by ticking the box next to Allow online bookings during blocked time. This option is not available when a break type has been selected.
- Click Save to add the blocked time.
- Once blocked time is added, a conflict warning will be displayed to your team if they schedule an appointment during these times.
- To delete or edit blocked time, click on the desired time slot, choose the trash can icon, Delete or make the required changes and click Save.
TOP TIP: Quickly add blocked time by clicking on a team member's name at the top of your calendar and selecting Add blocked time.
Creating recurring blocked time
Save time by setting up a series of recurring blocked times for your team members. To create recurring blocked time:
- Open your Calendar.
- Create a new blocked time or select an existing one you wish to make recurring.
- Under Frequency, choose how often this time should repeat:
Every day - This can be used for things like daily lunch breaks. Every week - This can be used for weekly occurrences like team meetings. Every month - This can be used for monthly occurrences like monthly review sessions. Custom - This can be used to set a unique recurring pattern like biweekly meetings.
- Under Ends, select when this recurring schedule should conclude:
On a specific date - To end after a selected date. After - To end after the number of occurrences entered. Never - For an ongoing schedule.
- Click Save to set up the recurring blocked time.
Managing recurring blocked time
You can edit or delete the complete series of blocked time or just a single blocked time.
Edit recurring blocked time
- Open your Calendar.
- Select the blocked time you want to edit from the series.
- Make any necessary changes, including the Type, Team member, Date, Time, Frequency, and Description.
- Click Save and choose how you want to apply these changes:
Update this blocked time only Update this and future blocked times Update all blocked time
- Click Update to confirm,
TOP TIP: You can also reschedule a recurring blocked time by dragging the blocked time on the calendar to a new date or time. The change will only apply to the selected blocked time, not the complete recurring series.
Delete recurring blocked time
- Open your Calendar.
- Select the blocked time you wish to cancel.
- Click on the trash can icon and select the relevant deletion option:
Delete this blocked time only Delete this and future blocked times Delete all blocked time
- Click Delete to confirm.
Q. Can I allow online bookings during the blocked time?
Online bookings can only be enabled during custom blocked time. If you select a blocked time type, you won't have the option to enable online booking during that period.
Q. How do I change the details of just one of the blocked times in a recurring series?
Select the blocked time from your calendar, make the necessary adjustments, and choose Update this blocked time only before saving.
Q. What happens if there's a scheduling conflict with blocked time?
Your team will see a conflict warning if they schedule an appointment during a blocked time.
Q. Can I delete only one instance of a recurring blocked time?
Yes, you can select to delete just one blocked time in a recurring series.