Making sure your equipment has been hygienically cleaned has never been more important for your business and your clients. We’ll talk you through how to clean your card terminal without damaging it.
In this guide, we’ll cover:
- Fresha card terminals overview
- Getting started
- How to clean your card terminal
- Do's and don'ts of cleaning your card terminal
- Fresha’s top tips
Fresha card terminals overview
Fresha card terminals is a quick and easy payment method which allows you to accept in-store payments from clients who can choose to pay in a range of ways. These portable devices are fully integrated with your business account, making checking out a streamlined process.
During the everyday running of your business, your card terminal may get pretty handled so it’s important to regularly give it a clean.
When cleaning your card terminal, make sure you’re using the right cleaning products and following the right procedures. We recommend using:
- A microfibre cloth
- A dry cloth
- pH-neutral soap or alcohol-based cleaner
How to clean your card terminal
- Turn off the terminal, and disconnect it from the power.
- Dampen your clean microfibre cloth with water.
- Use a few drops of pH-neutral soap or alcohol-based cleaner on the cloth. Do not use any harsh chemicals or apply the liquid directly to the terminal.
- Wipe the damp cloth over the keypad and display screen.
- Once cleaned, use a dry cloth to remove any excess liquid.
- When the terminal is completely dry, reconnect it to power and turn it back ON to start taking payment
Do's and don'ts of cleaning your card terminal
We’ve outlined some do’s and dont’s to help make sure you’re cleaning and disinfecting your card terminal in the right way.
Use microfibre cloths.
Use alcohol-based disinfectant (70-90% isopropyl alcohol).
Use pH-neutral non-scrubbing soap.
Use bleach, hydrogen peroxide, or any cleaning products that contain harsh chemicals or solvents as some cleaning products can cause the rubber and plastic to deteriorate which could cause the tamper alert to be triggered.
Pour or spray any liquid, sanitiser, or disinfectant directly onto the card terminal.
Shake the terminal or scrub it too hard.
Rub the card terminal with a dry towel or similar as this can cause an electrostatic discharge (ESD), which can trigger the tamper alert.
Clean the smart card reader as this could void any warranty.
Touch the battery contact points as it could lead to corrosion or a faulty connection.
Fresha’s top tips
🟣 Do not attempt any service, adjustments, or repairs on your card terminal. If you have any questions, please get in touch with our Partner Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
🟣 If you cover your terminal with a transparent overlay for easy cleaning, inspect your covers daily and replace them regularly. Covers can conceal the fact that a terminal has been tampered with and The PCI Security Standards Council warn against using these.
🟣 Download and print this PDF of cleaning tips so that your staff and cleaning service will see it.