Stock takes are designed to help you keep track of your inventory and identify any discrepancies in your stock levels. Maintaining accurate stock is a critical aspect of any business's success story, and making sure you know exactly how much stock you have and how much it’s worth can determine which products you choose to invest in in the future.
When completing a stock take, each product you sell and use to complete your services is counted and recorded. Once your stocktake is completed, your inventory records are automatically updated and a report is generated for any discrepancies in your inventory levels, including cost figures and missing stock.
PRO TIP: If you’re completing a stock take at the end of the financial year, or following a really busy period for your business such as Christmas, it’s a good idea to do this outside of your usual working hours.
NOTE: We auto-save your stocktake whenever you interact with it, so you will never lose your work as long as you’re connected to the internet. You can also pause your stocktake and come back to it at any time by selecting Pause.
To complete a stock take, follow the steps outlined below:
- Go to Products and select Stocktake.
- Click Create new stocktake and choose which location you would like to complete a stocktake for.
- If you carry out a large number of stocktakes throughout the year or have multiple locations, it’s a good idea to give each of your stock takes a name and a short description.
- Click Start stocktake.
- A full list of products in your inventory and the expected amount (your current stock level) for each will be shown. Work through the list of products and enter the amount counted. There are three ways to do this: walk through the list and record amounts of each product, use the search bar to find the right product, or use a barcode scanner to quickly scan and count products. Click here for more information on using a barcode scanner.
- Products are automatically saved to Your last counted products whenever you enter a number under the Counted column so you’ll never lose your data. If the number you’ve counted is the same as expected, a green tick will display next to the product. If the number you’ve counted is more than expected, a grey arrow will display next to the product. If the number you’ve counted is less than expected, a red arrow will display next to the product. If the numbers do not match what’s expected, it’s a good idea to count the products again, just to make sure.
- Once you’ve finished counting all of the products you’d like to include in your stocktake, click Review stocktake.
- Use the Uncounted, Unmatched, Matched, Excluded, and All filters to review the items included in your stocktake. . Uncounted shows all products that you did not specify a count for. If you’d like to exclude these items from your stocktake, click Exclude all uncounted items or exclude them individually by hovering over the product, clicking on the 3 dots , and selecting Exclude product from stock take.
- Once you’re happy with the items included in your stocktake, click Complete stocktake. Your inventory records will then be automatically updated and a report generated for any discrepancies in your inventory levels, including cost figures and missing stock. These changes are permanent and cannot be updated once they have been completed.
NOTE: Head to Stocktakes to view all of your Cancelled, Completed, and Paused stocktakes.