With service charges, you can manage additional surcharges or business costs and apply them to services and items at checkout. The following sections below outline how to set up, edit and apply a service charge:
How do I set up a service charge?
- From either a desktop or mobile, go to Business Settings and find Service Charges under the Sales section.
- If it's your first time adding a service charge, click Add service charge, or if you already have some, click Add.
- Enter the Name of your service charge that will appear on an invoice, for example, Green fee. You can add an optional description for internal use.
- Choose to apply the service charge on the Full sale value, or Only selected items such as Services, Products, Vouchers and/or Memberships.
- If you don't want the service charge to automatically apply to sales, untick the checkbox next to Automatically apply during checkout. You can always delete or adjust the charge.
- Now set the Rate of the charge. Choose from a flat rate, a percentage or both, and enter the values you wish to charge.
- Select whether to apply the charge on the total including taxes or before taxes.
- Set the tax rate if required.
- Click Add to finish creating your service charge. You can make edits by clicking on the three dots next to the service charge.
How do I edit a service charge at checkout?
If the Automatically apply during checkout checkbox is ticked in your service charge settings, your charge will automatically appear upon checkout.
To edit the service charge:
- Click on the name of the service charge highlighted in blue.
- Adjust the values in either or both the percentage or rate value and click Save.
- This edited value will only apply to this sale, and will not edit the default value of your service charge.
How do I manually apply a service charge at checkout?
During checkout, you can manually add a service charge from a list of those already created in Settings.
To manually apply a service charge:
- Once you have selected all the services and purchases to check out in Sales, click Continue.
- Click on the three dots next to the Continue button.
- Select Add service charge and choose from the list. To find out how to add a new service charge, click here.
- Adjust the default values if required, and click Save.
- Add a tip amount if required, then the payment method to check out as normal.
- A breakdown of all service charges will appear on the invoice.
NOTE: In some areas, such as the UK and countries within the EU, charging payment processing fees to your clients is prohibited by law. It is your responsibility to act following the laws of your country.
PRO TIP: To view service charges reporting, find your service charges report under Finances Summary. Please note that service charges are not included in sales totals.